BIM Coordination is a system approach for managing of BIM models, aimed to eliminate design, modeling and construction problems along the time of project realization. It becomes a guaranty of mistake-free design solutions, and a foundation for further use of BIM Models in VDC activities.
KEY ACTIVITIES OF BIM COORDINATION
- Creating of project templates for all disciplines before the start of design process
- Setting up of internal system of geographic coordinates for all models in project
- Gathering together all BIM Models inside of project to create one federated model.
- Control of compliance for company standards in the process of creating building informational models
- Conducting clash detection checks and control of clash resolving.
- Providing of common data environment (CDE) and control of storing files.
- Resolving technical issues in models and troubleshooting in the process of design.
PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE OF TEBIN LLC
TEBN LLC is currently using BIM and VDC technologies on every design projects, that’s why BIM coordination is an integral part of company’s operational activities. Every design team include at least one high-qualified employee, who is responsible for coordination process. For appropriate purposes and we use next software products:
- Autodesk Revit
- Autodesk Navisworks Manage
- Autodesk BIM360
- BIM Track
- BIM Collab
One of the company’s main principles is project realization with zero clashes. It means that by the moment, when Consumer receives final drawings and federal model of all disciplines, there’s no physical clashes and functional issues, which can badly affect on the construction and maintenance process.
For the sake of implementation this principle, we are proceeding multistage clash detection in Autodesk Navisworks Manage and conducting inter-disciplinary reviews via BIM360 Docs.
PRACTICAL OUTCOME FROM BIM COORDINATION
Not only BIM Coordination is resolving a number of technical issues, but it also brings an outcome to all stakeholders of project, such as:
Designer – gets ability to create high-quality product and entirely fulfill the potential of BIM technologies.
Customer and General Contractor – Eliminating possible financial and time losses of by proceeding BIM coordination on early design phase. Revealing and resolving clashes on this stage of project is cheaper and consumes less time than facing and trying to resolve clashes and design mistakes on construction stage.
In general, BIM coordination helps to uncover and resolve about 2000 clashes and design issues per project. The cost of resolving a single clash in construction phase could be around 300 €. Moreover, it also brings some time losses, in average the resolve of one issue on construction site will take one hour.
In conclusion, BIM coordination is able to help Customer to cut losses in amount of 600 000€ and 84 calendar days by resolving mistakes on early design phase.